Fun core of a gameplay
Leo January 15, 2013
Thoughtful link: Quotes from famous game designers and others.
What is gameplay? Gameplay is simply the actions a player is allowed to perform in a game. If those actions are enjoyable and the controls are intuitive, you have the most important ingredients of a great game.Duane Alan Hahn
A good game has to have a fun core, which is a one-sentence description of why it's fun.Paul Reiche III
Fun cores of different games:
- Tetris: keep glass empty no matter which items are randomly generated next.
- Rayman Origins: find everything on a level to reach maximum score.
- Dominion: invent the best strategy with 10 random kingdom cards.
- Diablo: build the character able to defeat any foe.
- Diablo 3 AH: find a way to earn money as fast as possible.
- StarCraft: invent an effective strategy and adapt it depending on your opponent's actions.
- MtG, Berserk: invent a deck.
- LoL: Invent a build for a single champion, and/or strategy for the whole team; adapt depending on opponents' actions.
- Story-type fun: find out what happens next.
- Customize the look of your character.